Saturday, November 12, 2011

Heartbroken

Yesterday was 11/11/11. A big thing in numerology, I'm told. Lucky numbers. Matching numbers. What did some parents-to-be do on this date? They scheduled their child's birth to fall on it. :(

It happens every year. Last year I even heard of women who were planning home births, inducing at home in order to give birth on the "lucky" date. This is a travesty. Babies are literally forced out of their mother's womb before they are ready for life on the outside, because their parents want them to have a "cool" birth date.

There is even an Obstetrician in Des Moines who offered monetary compensation for families who scheduled their delivery yesterday. I wonder how many of those babies ended up in the NICU.

Do the doctors who encourage or allow elective inductions and cesareans for a "lucky" date, caution about the risks involved in doing so? Do they mention the risk of NICU admission due to their baby not being ready for life on the outside? I know that when I was being scared into my first cesarean, 7 1/2 years ago, the OB not ONCE mentioned that it was a risk. He was too busy coercing us into agreeing. My son spent 9 days in the NICU, and I was flabbergasted when the neonatologist assigned to my son, told us that respiratory distress is *the* most common risk of elective cesarean section.

Today I was told that six babies were admitted into our tiny, local NICU yesterday. I am waiting to hear if we will be able to find out how many were due to induction or cesarean for yesterday's date. This is inexcusable, and it is heartbreaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment